Although I am a scary movie buff year-round, I love this time of year when the fall weather gives us an excuse to cozy up and watch Halloween movies with delicious vegan snacks and spiked hot cider on hand. Ever since my friend introduced me to his signature sweet popcorn recipe, it has become a fall tradition among our friends to serve it at every movie night between September and November, and it is now a quintessential part of me and my girlfriends’ annual Hocus Pocus viewing ‘party’ held at the apartment.
As my friends will attest, the moment you taste this popcorn you will be hooked — it has been aptly described as tasting inexplicably “like fall” and although I tend to gravitate towards savoury over sweet popcorn, this homemade popcorn seasoning recipe strikes the perfect balance between the sweetness of the sugar and the depth of the spices. The cinnamon incites feelings of coziness when paired with the warmth of the clove and nutmeg, while the ginger provides a subtle kick that makes this sweet popcorn topping totally addictive.
Read after the jump to learn how to make this sweet popcorn recipe that’s perfect for fall…
When it comes to movie snacks, vegan popcorn would have to be my number one favourite; And since ditching my microwave in favour of a hot air popcorn maker (I have the Cuisinart EasyPop) I’ve been constantly experimenting with different popcorn topping recipes for air popped popcorn. But of all of the recipes that I’ve tried, this one is definitely in the top tier.
If you’re looking for a fall movie night snack that tastes gourmet with minimal effort, this sweet popcorn recipe is the perfect choice; And as far as Halloween recipes go, it also makes a unique vegan party food for any seasonal get-together, big or small.
Although this sweet popcorn is touted as a fall treat, it’s toasty, spicy flavour would translate well for Christmas movie nights as well (because hey, enjoying it for one season isn’t enough!)
- ¼ cup popcorn kernels
- 2 tbsp virgin coconut oil
- ⅓ cup vegan confectioner's sugar
- ½ tsp cloves
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp ginger spice
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2-3 tsp pink Himalayan salt, or to taste
- Pop ¼ cup of popcorn kernels in an air popper or over a stovetop.
- While the popcorn is popping, heat 2 tbsp of coconut oil until melted (it should be a transparent, liquid consistency).
- Pour popcorn into a large bowl and drizzle coconut oil over popcorn until coated; Add salt to taste and mix well until the kernels are evenly coated in the coconut oil.
- Fold dry ingredients together in small bowl; Pour over popcorn and mix again. (Pro Tip: Cover the top of the bowl with plastic wrap and shake the bowl to ensure even coverage).
I hope you enjoy this sweet popcorn recipe for fall! Let me know in the comment section below if you will you be savouring it as a movie night snack, and what movie(s) you will you be enjoying it with. My favourites are Hocus Pocus, Trick ‘r Treat (I love Anna Paquin), and Scream.